Monday, August 08, 2005

Bike trails to Communism

We came. We biked. My butt hurts. Giorgio was nice enough to not only be the bike tour guide, but also the provider of a loaner bike to me. He, Alessandro and I went and it was a great experience on a lot of levels. For one, awesome views of the city and adjacent countryside. For two, a little more of the history of Rome for a different perspective. For three, I needed the exercise ;) We started out going through this huge park, Carafella? and going to this Egeria mineral springs where you can fill up your water bottles with this natural fizzy water. I have to say that I don't like fizzy water at all. Not even the lightly fizzy stuff they try to pass off as naturale there. It was cool though, because I am such a big fan of water. Maybe I should go to a water museum? Well after that, I stopped a traditional public water fountain, "fontanella" and got some good plain water. We then found ourselves on the Appia way. The Appia way is one of the original roads that eminate from Rome and go for a long way (all the way down to the southern tip of . It is made out of the same kinds of stone that most roads in town are made out of, but they are just inserted in the dirt and makes for a bumpy bike ride, hence the hurt bottom. The little stones are referred to as, San Piedrinos (little saint peters). We then made our way over to this park where all these aqueducts meet and cross. They were built at a steady slope of 1 to 2 degrees to allow the water to keep moving, but not too fast. I can't believe that these things are still around.

Well we made it back safe and sound. I didn't tell you earlier that I didn't ride with a helmet, because I didn't want you to get scared ;) but when in Rome.... Speaking of which, when we got back, we had this milk drink mixed with mint (kind of like what we do with chocolate milk). It was very good, and I am sure it would be better if it were warmed up.

Later, we rented "i cento passi" (one hundred steps) and watched that after we ate. We cooked pasta carbonara (pasta with a white bacon sauce). It was just an okay film. More about the Italian communist movement than about the mafia. After watching it, I definitely want to know more about Italian politics and it's communist party now (if you are reading this grandpa lewis, calm down, it's just research).

I went out to a piazza for a little bit, and caught a bit of the fascist architecture (eagle) that is still around.

No comments: